GovernmentDepartmentsResidentsEconomic DevelopmentHow Do I?
Click to Home
Go To Search
Find Us On
Building Division


1- THERE ARE NO FEES INVOLVED IN THIS WORK (this includes the July 2017 event and the August 2017 event). Flood Plain Development permits are specific to projects in the 100 year floodplain. They are used to track new development and reconstruction of existing buildings that have been classified as substantially damaged. Building permits are specific to any construction work that requires building permits per adopted/amended building codes.  Permits are required to track work and inspections are provided to insure work is completed per adopted building codes. These same guidelines would also apply to any major weather event, such as high wind events or tornados.

2- FLOODPLAIN DEVELOPMENT PERMITS ARE ONLY REQUIRED FOR SUBSTANTIALLY DAMAGED BUILDINGS.  This will usually involve structural repair, major damage repair, or flood base level mitigation modifications. Substantially damaged by definition is; buildings that have experienced damage from 1 event, or a number of events in a cumulative 5 year period, and the damage monetary amount(s) are equal to or greater than 50% of the market  value of the building. FEMA guidelines suggest using the County Assessor’s published market value for buildings. All determinations and values can be appealed thru the respective agency or governmental body.

3- BUILDING PERMITS are only required for major repairs to structural components, replacement of major appliances such as furnaces or air conditioners, hot water heaters, or electrical panels /subpanels.

4- All electrical, mechanical, or plumbing work should be done by certified licensed contractors. Any general work not done by the owner should be done by contractors having a business license. These requirements are for the benefit of owners and insure current building codes are being met.

5- For more information for Floodplain Development please contact Ted Martin, Floodplain Administrator, 816-380-8913 with questions or concerns. For building permit questions or concerns please contact Chris Arthur, Building Official, 816-380-8912 or John Morris, Building Inspector, 816-380-8921.

Building Permits:  As of May 9, 2017, permit applications and fee payments will no longer be processed over the phone.  Permits can still be applied for online.  All permit fees will need to be paid for at City Hall at the time of permit pick up.  
Roof Replacement:
  As of July 1, 2017, the building division will no longer require permitting for roof replacement jobs unless there is structural repair or major mechanical/electrical /plumbing work involved.  Roofing contractors are still required to have a current business license and jobs will be spot checked for this.  Please remember, all roof replacement jobs are still required to be done in compliance with the current adopted building codes. 


The Building Division oversees all development and building activity within the City of Harrisonville. Specific activities include:

  • Building permitting and inspection
  • Plan review
  • Signs
  • Property Maintenance Ordinances
  • Nuisance Abatement

Building Permitting, Plan Review & Inspection

Building permitting and inspection ensures that all construction undertaken within the city complies with established minimum construction standards. Such oversight maintains public safety standards within our buildings and keeps property values high. Building Division personnel will review construction plans, issue all applicable permits, and conduct building inspections before approving and issuing certificates of occupancy.  Building Division Documents

Sign Regulation
Sign regulation helps to maintain and enhance the city’s aesthetic environment and our ability to attract sources of economic development and growth. It also provides for a desirable and attractive living environment through harmonious signage.

Property Maintenance Ordinances

Property maintenance ordinances ensures that buildings and properties within the city are properly maintained. Those with an appearance which has a blighting effect on a neighborhood are required to be repaired and restored to good condition.

Chris Arthur, CBO, MCP
Building Official
Phone: 816-380-8912

John Morris
Building Inspector
Code Enforcement Inspector
Phone: 816-380-8921

300 E. Pearl St.
Harrisonville, MO 64701

Help Desk
Ph: 816-380-8958
Fx: 816-380-8906

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.