NEW: Electric Department now offering security lights for residents
The type of fixture and method of installation shall be in accordance with the City of Harrisonville Electric Department Standard (40W LED). City lights cannot be installed on customer owned buildings or poles, lights must be installed only on City-owned poles. All equipment will be maintained and operated by the City of Harrisonville and at the City’s expense. All equipment shall remain the property of the City of Harrisonville.
Electric Department Building on Royal Street
Here's how Harrisonville gets its electric for you, our customer.
Harrisonville purchases wholesale electric power from the Missouri Joint Municipal Electric Utility Commission (MJMEUC). MJMEUC is a separate governmental entity for the purpose of pooling the electric utility resources of the pool members and acquiring additional electric services as a separate entity, making possible more beneficial use of generating facilities and assuring better service in emergencies.
The Electric Department oversees the distribution of this power to retail customers within the city limits of Harrisonville. The City of Harrisonville currently serves approximately 4,744 electrical customers. To notify the city about an electrical outage after hours, dial 816-380-8940
Services / Programs
The division is responsible for constructing and maintaining the electric distribution lines and transmission lines, service lines, substations, transformers, and other related and supportive equipment required for the safe and reliable delivery of electrical service to local customers:
- Residential security light installation
- Tree trimming and right-of-way management
- Public relations programs in the community
- Promotion of electrical safety and general awareness
- Response to all emergency calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Maintenance of city street lighting
- Provide temporary electrical service for special events
- Assist other city crews as necessary with tree removal, material handling, lifting, etc.
Facilities / Distribution Lines
On April 5, 2002, the city held a dedication ceremony for the new electric division office space at 2108 Royal Street. In addition to this building, the division maintains three other facilities:
- North Substation is located on N. Independence Street
- South Substation is located just east of Independence Street and south of Missouri Highway 2 (South Street)
- Royal Street Substation has located just east of MO 291 Highway and on the north side of Royal Street near the new electric building site
- 8.68 miles of 69KV (69,000 volts) transmission lines
- 3-mile 69KV loop running around the perimeter of the city to maintain reliability
- 68.05 miles of 12.47KV (12,470 volts) of overhead distribution lines
- 10 miles of 12.47KV (12,470 volts) of underground distribution lines
The City of Harrisonville Electric Department received the award for national recognition of Reliable Electric Operations from the American Public Power Association in 2015. Harrisonville is one of the 97 electric utilities to be so honored in 2015 of the nation's over 2,000 public power utilities for the highest degree of reliable and safe electric services.